Food Waste Tips
9 Tips on how to prevent food waste at home
- Don't hide your food (make a corner in the fridge for things you need to use soon or always store new things behind older things when unpacking your shopping)
- Love your leftovers (challenge yourself to only cook with what is left in the fridge and start packing the rest of dinner in a nice lunch box, ready to bring to your office the next day)
- Make friends and share your food (bring extra food (before it went bad) to your neighbors, family or working colleagues)
- Use your senses (look at, smell and taste food before throwing it out because it reached the best before date)
- Check your fridge and storage before going shopping
- Preserve your food (making jam or freezing some extra soup)
- Store properly (most fruit lasts much longer if stored in the fridge)
- Shop wisely (be realistic how much you really need, make and stick to your shopping list, be careful with discounts, that make you buy more, then you need)
- Eat out smart (order half portions, share a meal, ask for a doggie bag)
Tips to reduce food waste at holidays
- Think back of last year: How many leftovers did you have? What was not perfect? Fine tune.
- Use a portion planer to plan your meal. Especially for big dinners with many people we tend to overcook. Don't worry that your guests will leave your home hungry, there are always cookies to fill up even the biggest eaters.
- Are prepared to deal with leftovers: Ask guests to bring containers, keep disposable containers like pickle jars, big yogurt containers and ice-cream boxes for the big day to have some containers to give guests, make sure to have some freezing containers, bags at home