PA 4: Increase Food Donations in Poland
This Pilot action run by the Federation of Polish Foodbanks (FPFB) increased the food donation by 45% from the previous reporting period. In this period it could provide food donation, that needed refrigeration condition from 215 shops and 185 restaurants. FPFB showed effects and scale of pilot activity in entire Poland. Already 3 times more stores give food donations to the Food Bank.
The goal of this pilot action is to develop further cooperation with retailers and restaurants chains in Poland to raise the amounts of food donated instead of being thrown away. The Federation of Polish Food Banks implemented a new food waste reduction plan for food donations that need special cooling conditions in retail sector. In the pilot project the aim is to receive different food categories - high nutrient content (meat, fish or dairy products, that need special cooling storage and transport). Also taking into consideration, that waste of animal based product has high environmental effects, such as dairy products or meet.
- 2 608 tons of food (requiring cooling conditions) saved before wasting
- 215 shops and 185 restaurants donating food to 32 Food Banks
- Cooperation with 5 retail chains and 1 restaurant chain
- Already 3 times more stores gave food donations for social purposes to the Food Banks.
- Retailers provided to Food Banks of 45% more surpluses foods.
- increasing the amount of food saved
- increasing the number of shops providing food donation
- establish new cooperation with more retailers and the food service sector