PA 1 Food Waste Prevention in Primary Production: Gleaning Potential?
The aim is to reduce food waste losses in primary production by
- increasing knowledge and data of food losses in primary production &
- find solutions on food conservation and distribution options
- suitable for other farmers and regions in Austria
This pilot action focuses on the primary production, in detail on the vegetables at field,but also on stock losses at production level.
Procedure of the pilot action
In the first phase data was gathered on the losses. For that 2 farmers (1 conventional, 1 organic) provided the possibility to postharvest determined fields between August – November 2017. The amounts usable for "distribution" and further use for human consumption were collected and counted. In the next phase the "results" were shared and discussed in a Multi Stakeholder Platform meeting (MSPM) to determine the next steps for the pilot action and to discuss the potential for establishing a gleaning network or other use of the food losses of warehouse goods on fields.
- 15 field investigations on 2 farms
- post harvesting of potatoes, onions, pumpkin, black salsifies, carrots (orange, yellow), red roots, celery root
- Gleaning of “edible” field fruits
- Amounts: up to 3 % of the crop yield were found edible on the field
- Challenges for gleaning potential
- influences (product, technique..)
- logistical organisation
"Distribution" of food losses
Distribution of gleaned products to
- Restaurant sector: Biowirtinnen Wien
- Own restaurants and catering
- Other partners for further conservation like Unverschwendet
"Achieved so far"
- More data on food losses and food waste in primary production with focus on field and warehouse
- Willingness of different stakeholders (MSPM) to find sustainable solutions; focus on “b-category” warehouse goods
- General interest of farmers on single gleaning events
- Loose cooperation between farmer – food service sector
- logistical aspect
Multistakeholder Meeting to discuss potential of gleaning
Is there potential to establish a gleaning network in Austria?
Outcomes from the stakeholder meeting:
To discuss the question stakeholders were invited with different backgrounds and interests:
- intensify strategies farmer – food service sector / consumer (directly)
- identify strategies farmer – wholesale - food service sector / retail (focus conventional farming)
- Organisation of single gleaning events instead of continuous gleaning network
- MSPM-development of communication platform with focus on wholesale resp. suppliers (bio and conventional)